Friday, February 19, 2010

Tiger Woods Apologizes

Tiger Woods held a conference today and apologized for the wrong things he did. He apologized to his family, friends, sponsors and others who are close to him. I was glad to hear him say he was sorry and he also promised fix his problems. Tiger actually admitted to having affairs which was very surprising since he is often very private about his personal life. I'll give him credit for admitting he has a problem and I sincerely hope he is trying to correct his mistakes.

Even though Tiger overall appeared sorry for what he did, a couple of things concern me. The first concern I have is that he read from a paper as oppose to just speaking from his heart. He would have appeared more genuine had he just spoken without using any paper. By reading a statement, he appeared robotic and stiff during the press conference. It seemed more rehearsed, choreographed and less original.

The next concern I have is that he went off subject. For some reason, he brought up performance enhancing drugs. He could have chosen another time to discuss that. I believe Tiger when he says he's never used any drugs. My thing is he should have stayed focused on the what he did wrong and try to better himself.

Another concern I have is that he pointed blamed towards the media. Tiger needs to understand that since he is famous, most in the media will try to get as much from him as possible. They will do things like take pictures of him, try to get interviews and invade his privacy. There's no question that he is entitled to his privacy. Yes it is true that the media at times can overstep some boundaries when it comes to invading the personal space of some people. Unfortunately when you're famous, the media will follow you. He appeared very angry at the media, which in turn took a little away from his apology. I agree that the media should give Tiger Woods, his family and friends the privacy they need, but Tiger could have said that without using an angry tone.

Overall, I thought his conference was okay. It took a lot of courage for him to stand in front of people and admit to his affairs. I would've prefer for him to speak without reading from any paper. I'm glad that he's sorry for cheating on his wife. He is trying to fix his issues by going to rehab which is always good. I hope that his wife Elin and family can recover from this. When he is ready to return to golf, I'm certain he will once again play at an elite level.

No comments:

Post a Comment